The 1985 Volkswagen Watercooled T25 / T3 Westfalia Vanagon Camper Model History.
Following on from the first 1984 Watercooled Westfalia Vanagon Camper in 1985 a new version of the Vanagon Camper was released for the United States and Canadian markets. The new model had different upholstery and some other design changes.
1) 1985 Watercooled VW Westfalia Vanagon Camper engine options and approx price (inclusive tax when new in standard form):
Prices from 09/84 price list. Prices are in German Deutschmark:
1985 Westfalia Vanagon Camper Pop Top
Price For Volkswagen Transporter
Petrol Watercooled 1.9 Litre Otto Motor (1915cc) with Air Flow Control (AFC) fuel injection and 4 speed manual gearbox 32,861 DM
Petrol Watercooled 1.9 Litre Otto Motor (1915cc) with Air Flow Control (AFC) fuel injection and automatic gearbox 34,879 DM
Then add the additional cost for Westfalia equipment.
The 1985 VW Westfalia Vanagon Camper layout consisted of:
1) Combination cupboard 87 cm wide x 45 cm deep on the left behind the drivers seat with sink, two flame LP gas cooker with splash plate. The splash plate folds down and can be used to drain dishes after washing. Also the unit has a cutlery draw, a large cupboard for tableware and the fridge.
2) Cupboard unit with 10.5 US Gallon (40 litre) integrated freshwater tank.
3) Wardrobe (with mirror on inside of door) and storage unit with 3 shelves over the engine bay.
4) Roof locker below roof bed.
5) Cushion 120 cm wide over the engine bay.
6) 3/4 width rock n roll bed for 2 persons (bed is 188 cm x 120 cm when folded out) with bedding storage area under seat.
7) Rear table on swinging arm (80 cm x 40 cm) with dark brown surface finish and dark brown edging trim.
8) Front table on swinging arm (60 cm x 40 cm) with dark brown surface finish and dark brown edging trim.
1985 VW Westfalia Vanagon Camper Interior Photos
The 1985 Volkswagen Westfalia Vanagon Camper had beige furniture and the upholstery was a beige brown velour called “Saiga”.
The 1985 Volkswagen Westfalia Vanagon Camper had beige furniture and the upholstery was light beige brown velour material called “Saiga”.
This material seems to be harder wearing than the earlier options but can still show signs of wear on seat edges etc.
The curtains were a beige brown velour material.
5) 1985 VW Westfalia Vanagon Camper Pop Top Roof
Luggage rack over the drivers cab.
Inner lining of roof was a soft flock material.
Canvas had a large opening aperture at the front with a zippable mosquito net.
Fibreglass roof had an opening plastic window (29 cm x 39 cm) with mosquito net.
Double bed in pop top roof 185 cm x 122 cm.
The double bed in the pop top had the same beige brown upholstery as the seats. The roof canvas in the pop top was light brown for all 1985 VW Vanagon Campers.
6) Volkswagen Westfalia Vanagon Camper Flooring and Carpet Specification
The rear floor was a multi coloured lino type material and this was covered by a removable square tan coloured brown carpet with a non slip rubber backing.
The front carpet in the cab was a tan coloured brown.
7) Volkswagen Westfalia Vanagon Camper Door Trim Specification
On the 1985 Westfalia Vanagon Camper the door trims and seat vinyl were beige brown. The door trim had a matching material padded insert.
8) 1985 Westfalia Vanagon Camper Standard Model Specification
Insulated on all inner bodywork in the living area with 25 mm thick mineral fibre plates. Floor area has a plywood sheet with PVC covering. Over the engine bay there is an insulating noise absorbing mat. The side walls and roof panels are made from dark brown and lighter imitation leather. In some panels there is a padding of matching “Saiga” material.
The 1985 VW Vanagon Westfalia Camper had opening sliding windows on the sliding door and above the kitchen unit.
High quality cotton curtains all round including drivers cabin area. The curtains for the sliding door and front windscreen were clipped on when required.
110v Volt external hook up with internal duplex outlet socket and safety trip cut out.
45 litre (1.5 cu. ft.) fridge working from 12v, 110v AC or LP gas.
40 Litre (10.5 US gallon) Freshwater tank with electric pump and external hook up.
Swivelling passenger and drivers seat (driver 90 degrees to right, passenger 180 degrees to rear) with frame type headrests.
External underbody LPG tank.
Diode control display system on the kitchen unit showing fresh water tank level, battery charge level and indicator when fridge is running on gas.
Power Steering with Smaller Steering Wheel.
Tachometer (Rev Counter).
Digital LCD Clock.
Padded Dashboard with Additional Convenience Tray.
Two runners in rear floor to allow fitting of optional removable swivelling middle seat.
Redesigned 12 volt kitchen light.
Illuminated vanity mirror in sunvisor.
Drivers door storage pocket.
Map Glovebox Light.
Aerodynamic Full Wheel Covers.
Dual Outside mirrors.
Speedometer with resettable mileage trip.
Two speed front windshield wipers with intermittent cycle feature.
Door switch controlled courtesy light.
Three point seat belts in front and 2 x rear lap belts.
Illuminated ashtray with cigarette lighter.
Flow through fresh air ventilation with 3-speed blower-assist.
Multidirectional heated and fresh air distribution system with illuminated control panel.
Overhead fresh air outlets.
Separate rear heater with 3-speed blower- assist.
Storage compartment on drivers door.
Fuel level gauge.
Lined panels on interior side walls and carpeting throughout.
External water hook up for city water (this means to connect mains water supply direct to van).
Opening front quarter light windows in driver and passenger door.
Electric rear window demister.
Removable insect screen for rear tailgate.
Steel wheels with full wheel covers.
Chrome bumpers front/rear, with impact strip.
9) Options available at extra cost included:
Removable Middle Swivelling Seat.
Rear Window Wiper/Washer.
AM/FM Cassette Radio.
Radio Preparation consisting of Four Speakers, Antenna and Suppression.