The 1984 Volkswagen Watercooled Westfalia Vanagon Camper Wolfsburg Limited Edition Model History.
In 1984 a special limited edition Wolfsburg Vanagon Westfalia Camper was released for the USA and Canadian markets.
This limited edition model had a higher specification than the standard model and was identifiable by its exterior two tone paint and Wolfsburg badging as described below.
The VW Westfalia Vanagon campers were designed for the market in the USA and Canada and were available only in Poptop (elevating roof) form. Whereas the models built for Europe were available in both poptop and hightop versions.
1) Watercooled Westfalia Vanagon Wolfsburg Limited Edition Camper engine options and approx price (inclusive tax when new in standard form):
If you have any information or price lists for the Watercooled Wolfsburg Limited Edition USA Volkswagen Westfalia Vanagon camper please send them to me.
1) Combination cupboard 87 cm wide x 45 cm deep on the left behind the drivers seat with sink, two flame LP gas cooker with splash plate. The splash plate folds down and can be used to drain dishes after washing. Also the unit has a cutlery draw, a large cupboard for tableware and the fridge.
2) Cupboard unit with 10.5 US Gallon (40 litre) integrated freshwater tank.
3) Wardrobe (with mirror on inside of door) and storage unit with 3 shelves over the engine bay.
4) Roof locker below roof bed.
5) Cushion 120 cm wide over the engine bay.
6) 3/4 width rock n roll bed for 2 persons (bed is 188 cm x 120 cm when folded out) with bedding storage area under seat.
7) Rear table on swinging arm (80 cm x 40 cm) with dark brown surface finish and dark brown edging trim.
8) Front table on swinging arm (60 cm x 40 cm) with dark brown surface finish and dark brown edging trim.
The rear floor was a multi coloured lino type material and this was covered by a removable square tan coloured brown carpet with a non slip rubber backing.
The front carpet in the cab was a tan coloured brown.
7) 1984 Volkswagen Westfalia Vanagon Camper Wolfsburg Limited Edition Door Trim Specification
On the 1984 Westfalia Vanagon Camper Wolfsburg Limited Edition the door trims and seat vinyl were colour keyed beige brown. The side and door trim panels had a matching cloth material padded insert.
8) 1984 Westfalia Vanagon Camper Wolfsburg Limited Edition Standard Model Specification
Insulated on all inner bodywork in the living area with 25 mm thick mineral fibre plates. Floor area has a plywood sheet with PVC covering. The side walls and roof panels are made from dark brown and lighter imitation leather. In some panels there is a padding of matching “Saiga” material.
The VW Vanagon Westfalia Wolfsburg Limited Edition Camper had opening sliding windows on the sliding door and above the kitchen unit.
High quality cotton curtains all round including drivers cabin area. The curtains for the sliding door and front windscreen were clipped on when required.
110 volt AC duplex power outlet with master switch, circuit breaker and external electrical connection.
45 litre (1.5 cu. ft.) fridge working from 12v, 110v AC or LP gas.
One transistor 12 volt light above sink.
40 Litre (10.5 US gallon) freshwater tank with electric pump and external hook up.
Contoured Front Bucket Seats With Armrests.
Swivelling passenger and drivers seat (driver 90 degrees to right, passenger 180 degrees to rear) with frame type headrests.
External underbody LPG tank.
Diode control display system on the kitchen unit showing fresh water tank level, battery charge level and indicator when fridge is running on gas.
Power Steering (Safety steering wheel with energy absorbing and collapsible column).
Tachometer (Rev Counter).
Digital LCD Clock.
Padded Dashboard with Additional Convenience Tray.
Two runners in rear floor to allow fitting of removable middle seat bank for two persons.
Removable Middle Bench Seat For Two Extra Passengers With Folding Backrest.
Redesigned Kitchen Light.
Illuminated Vanity Mirror in Sunvisor.
Map Glovebox Light.
Aerodynamic Full Wheel Covers.
Wolfsburg Edition Emblems.
Dual Outside mirrors.
Speedometer with resettable mileage trip.
Two speed front windshield wipers with intermittent cycle feature.
Door switch controlled courtesy light.
Three point seat belts in front and 2 x rear lap belts.
Illuminated ashtray with cigarette lighter.
Flow through fresh air ventilation with 3-speed blower-assist.
Multidirectional heated and fresh air distribution system with illuminated control panel.
Overhead fresh air outlets.
Separate rear heater with 3-speed blower- assist.
Storage compartment on drivers door.
Fuel level gauge.
Lined panels on interior side walls and carpeting throughout.
External water hook up for city water (this means to connect mains water supply direct to van).
Opening front quarter light windows in driver and passenger door.
Electric rear window demister.
Removable insect screen for rear tailgate.
Steel wheels with full wheel covers.
Chrome bumpers front/rear, with impact strip.
9) Options believed to be available at extra cost included:
Rear Window Wiper/Washer.
AM/FM Cassette Radio and Four Speakers.
Radio Preparation consisting of Four Speakers, Antenna and Suppression.
10) 1984 Volkswagen Vanagon Camper Wolfsburg Limited Edition Side and Rear Badging
11) Links to Volkswagen 1984 Westfalia Vanagon Wolfsburg Edition Camper Sales Brochures (Prospekt) and Price Lists (Preisliste)
The following links show various sales literature that was produced by Volkswagen and Westfalia.
Please note that some of the links take you to an external site called vwpix.org which is an excellent source of sales literature for all versions of VW camper van.